Sunday, February 19, 2012

Execute Package Task error: Failed to decrypt protected XML node "DTS:Password"

I have a package (PackageA) with an Execute Package Task that execs PackageB. When I run PackageA I get this error on the Execute Package Task :

Failed to decrypt protected XML node "DTS:Password" with error 0x8009000B "Key not valid for use in specified state.". You may not be authorized to access this information. This error occurs when there is a cryptographic error. Verify that the correct key is available.

PackageB has 'EncryptSensitiveWithUserKey' ProtectionLevel. I'm providing passwords in the dtsConfig so I'm guessing I should change it to 'DontSaveSensitive'?

Interestingly, PackageA also has 'EncryptSensitiveWithUserKey' ProtectionLevel, but I don't get an error about PackageA, just on the task that runs PackageB.

(SP1 is installed).

Al C. wrote:

PackageB has 'EncryptSensitiveWithUserKey' ProtectionLevel. I'm providing passwords in the dtsConfig so I'm guessing I should change it to 'DontSaveSensitive'?

Yes, since the data is configured somewhere else, DontSaveSensitive is correct choice.

Al C. wrote:

Interestingly, PackageA also has 'EncryptSensitiveWithUserKey' ProtectionLevel, but I don't get an error about PackageA, just on the task that runs PackageB.

The message is only raised when the package contains the actual protected data - passwords, connection strings that can't be decrypted. If the package had 'EncryptSensitiveWithUserKey' ProtectionLevel, but does not have any sensitive data, you will not see this message.

|||Thanks Michael. That explains it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment