Friday, March 23, 2012

Executing a SPROC from a View

Is it possible to execute a SPROC from within a view? If so, will the query
slow the SPROC any lower than it normally would run?
I use excel pivot charts based on sql views a good bit. As far as I know, I
don't think pivot charts can be based on SPROC's. I've run into a database
that is very large and requires a good bit of formulas in the view which
slow it down.
I'm just looking for any way to speed my data call to my excel pivot chart.Theroretically yes. But pratically and perferable, no.
You *could* use the OPENQUERY method for that, but as I said I didn=B4t
make any good experiences with that.
HTH, Jens Suessmeyer.
http://www.sqlserver2005.de
--|||Scott (sbailey@.mileslumber.com) writes:
> Is it possible to execute a SPROC from within a view? If so, will the
> query slow the SPROC any lower than it normally would run?
> I use excel pivot charts based on sql views a good bit. As far as I
> know, I don't think pivot charts can be based on SPROC's. I've run into
> a database that is very large and requires a good bit of formulas in the
> view which slow it down.
> I'm just looking for any way to speed my data call to my excel pivot
> chart.
You can use OPENQUERY that Jens mention, but it a serious kludge, and
it is not likely to speed anything else up.
Sorry, without any more information about your real problem, it's
difficult to say anything more.
Erland Sommarskog, SQL Server MVP, esquel@.sommarskog.se
Books Online for SQL Server 2005 at
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pr...oads/books.mspx
Books Online for SQL Server 2000 at
http://www.microsoft.com/sql/prodin...ions/books.mspxsql

No comments:

Post a Comment