Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Execute sp_start job on many clients

I have about 200 msde instances running on several machines.I want to
execute sp_start_job on several clients and manage the jobs such that
the job schedules specified by the clients do not clash and can be
changed remotely if requred by us without dropping and recreating the
jobs.
All this nees to be done form a central server.How can this be done ?Do
I have to create a web service to do this?
I would not want to register each client as a remote server?
Thanks in anticipations.
AjayHi
This sounds like you want to take the scheduling away from SQL Server Agent,
in which case you will just need to create the job but not schedule it, then
have your own scheduling starting off the job. It would not need to be a web
service unless that is how you implement the registration process.
John
"AG" <ajayz90@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:1125849309.901461.240560@.g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>I have about 200 msde instances running on several machines.I want to
> execute sp_start_job on several clients and manage the jobs such that
> the job schedules specified by the clients do not clash and can be
> changed remotely if requred by us without dropping and recreating the
> jobs.
> All this nees to be done form a central server.How can this be done ?Do
> I have to create a web service to do this?
> I would not want to register each client as a remote server?
> Thanks in anticipations.
>
> Ajay
>|||Here is what the scenario is like.
I have a sql server behind a fire wall so only the client msde instances
can acess the sql server , the connection cannot be initiated by the sql
server.I have 200 client MSDE instances and they have dts packages to
load the data.I want to be able to monitor their hear beat and also
centrally control their schedules.I was wondering what approch would be
good besides the web service sinc i caanor register the remote servers
on MY sql becuase of the fire wall.
AJay
Ajay Garg
Data Warehouse Programmer
MCDBA
*** Sent via Developersdex http://www.examnotes.net ***|||Hi
If you are going to administer the jobs centrally then you will need some
way of starting the job, whether that is an agent application or web service
running on the MSDE client is in the design. You will probably need two way
communication to make it work.
An alternative would be to use a VPN which would allow you to register the
instances.
John
"Ajay Garg" <ajayz90@.hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:%236l384tsFHA.304@.TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> Here is what the scenario is like.
> I have a sql server behind a fire wall so only the client msde instances
> can acess the sql server , the connection cannot be initiated by the sql
> server.I have 200 client MSDE instances and they have dts packages to
> load the data.I want to be able to monitor their hear beat and also
> centrally control their schedules.I was wondering what approch would be
> good besides the web service sinc i caanor register the remote servers
> on MY sql becuase of the fire wall.
>
> AJay
>
> Ajay Garg
> Data Warehouse Programmer
> MCDBA
> *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.examnotes.net ***

No comments:

Post a Comment